Biography of Abiel TRIPP 1684-1753

Having passed into manhood, Abiel, the junior, married Eleanor Waite, 3 Jan 1704. It was the day after her sixteenth birthday. Together they produced ten children over twenty-four years. Surprisingly, only three male children were born. There was an Abiel namesake who died in infancy. Three of the daughters married Durfee men, a firm indication of the good terms between the Durfee and Tripp families (Mary Paine, Abiel's mother, had remarried to a Durfee). Son, Joseph Tripp married Frances Hall, a cousin.

After his father's death, Abiel Tripp's rights to operate Tripp's Ferry had been preserved by an act of the general assembly called the "Liberty of the Ferry" in 1698. We must remember that the meaning of the work "liberty" was different then, being privileges that were granted or bestowed. The contention over ferry rights did not end in 1698. The early records cite a committee appointed 27 Mar 1727 to determine if the General Assembly had the right to lease town ferries. Until this time, ferry rights had been considered private. The General Assembly proscribed the erection of another ferry on-half mile on either side of Tripp's Ferry and authorized Abiel Tripp to operate the ferry without competition 13 Jun 1727..

Abiel Tripp probably operated the ferry for some years in conjunction with his stepfather (Burden). In a land transaction on Hogg Island, Abiel is refered to as "Abiel Tripp, Ferryman, now resident of Bristol". The saga of the ferry continued. Abiel willed the wharf (and presumably the rights to operate the ferry) to son Thomas. But 19 Apr 1766, Thomas Tripp sold the wharf. By February 1769, Joseph Burden was in sole control.

Abiel's will was made 10 Jan 1753 and proved 9 Jul 1753.

© 2006 Carolyn Fields-Collins and Mark L. Fields. This work may be reproduced and redistributed, in whole or in part, without alteration and without prior written permission solely for genealogy research purposes, provided all copies contain the following statement: "© 2006 Carolyn Fields-Collins and Mark L. Fields. This work is reproduced and distributed with the permission of Mark L. Fields."


Return to group sheet

Notes

The name "Abiel" is of biblical origin and means My Father is the Lord. It was used commonly by early Puritans and Quakers but is now rare.