A Hugh Norvell (born before 1666 -died 1719), styled Captain Hugh Norvell because of his service in the Colonial War, served as a vestryman at Bruton Church in 1694, 1697, 1704, and 1710-1715. Pew No. 7 in Bruton Church, Williamsburg has a plaque honoring Hugh Norvell, Vestryman, 1710-1715, George Norvell, vestryman, and William Norvell, vestryman, 1775. Further, there is a marker which names Hugh Norvell as one of the members of the vestry who erected the church building from 1710-1715. Interestingly, James Besouth, whom some say is the father of Hugh’s wife, is also honored as a member of the vestry that erected the first church in 1674-1683. Hugh Norvell was on the Vestry of Bruton Parish Church from 1694 to 1710. While serving in that capacity, one of the special committees, on which he served was designated by the Vestry to welcome the Rev. Dr. James Blair, President of the College of William and Mary. On December 5, 1710, the Vestry had voted to ask him to become their Rector. Hugh Norvell was chairman of this committee. The Rev. Dr. Blair accepted the Vestry's invitation. Hugh Norvell was also a member of the committee appointed by the Vestry to oversee the building of the new church. The General Assembly of Virginia on June 7, 1699 passed an Act Directing the Building of the Capitol and the City of Williamsburg. One of the clauses of this Act appointed Lewis Burwell, Phil Ludwell, Jr., Benjamin Harrison, Jr. , James Waley, Hugh Norwell [Novell], and Mongo Ingles, Gentleman --Feofees or Trustees for land appropriated to the uses of the City. These were the gentlemen who sold the half-acre lots into which the city had been laid out. Hugh Norwell [Norvell] was still a Feofee or Trustee in 1705 when the Act Directing the Building of the Capitol and the City of Williamsburg with additions was passed. In 1703 he served on the Grand Jury of the Virginia Admiralty Court and later became a county officer. His plantation lay across the York County boundary near Williamsburg and was cited in a patent from the Virginia Land Office, June 16, 1714 as adjoining the lands of Nicholas Valentine. In 1694, he appeared as the guardian (procaine ami) of his daughter Elizabeth in a law suit against Mr. Robert Harrison and Mrs. Elizabeth Archer over the payment due Elizabeth of a Negro girl. He owned 328 acres of land in nearby James City County and is listed on the quit rent roll of 1704. In 1710, he is mentioned as a juror in some trial involving 8 Tuscarora Indians and served as a member of the House of Burgesses about 1719. He married Sara [prob. Besouth] (died 1705); they had several children.
Son, George Norvell, swore the Oath of Allegiance in 1779 to the American Revolution in Albemarle County, Virginia, recorded in the Goochland County Order Book 12, page 503. On 21 June of that same year he was a signatory to the Albemarle Declaration of Independence, along with Thomas Jefferson and other prominent citizens, the original document preserved at the Virginia Historical Society, Richmond.
Son, James Norvell (HUGH, George), served in Colonial Wars 1758. Received payment for services at Lunenberg - 1758.
Maccarina (Mackie) Norvell (b. 1750 -d. 1822) married William Thurmond on Oct 4, 1766 (b ca 1740 d 1800), the son of William Thurmond of Albemarle County, Va. They had John (b 1786), who married Nancy Turner and served in War of 1812; James (b abt August 1767); William (b Oct 1769); Elizabeth (b ca 1776);Mary (b 1779);Catherine (b ca 1784; Thomas who married Patsy Norvell.
T he name at the left will lead to the groupsheet.
O nce you have reached a groupsheet, there are links to the group sheets of other individuals and to source document images, photos and other material. Groupsheets of other marriages are linked through the spouse. Matrilineal searchs are assisted by an abbreviated decendancy along the female line found next to the name of the husband and name of the wife.
L ocation tracking is provided along the bottom navigational bar to assist in retracing your steps.